COVID-19: CMS Issues Infection Control Updates
On April 8,2020 CMS issued a news release: CMS Issues New Wave of Infection Control Guidance Based on CDC Guidelines to Protect Patients and Healthcare Workers from COVID-19. This CMS guidance is supported by CDC nationally recognized guidelines, that reinforce infection control practices applicable to COVID-19 activities such as: patient triage, screening and treatment, the use of alternate testing and treatment sites and telehealth, drive-through screenings, limiting visitations, cleaning and disinfection guidelines, and staffing.
Key CMS Guidance Areas
Key CMS guidance areas that further support healthcare systems flexibility in responding to COVID-19 are the following:
For hospitals, critical access and psychiatric hospitals
- Expanded recommendations on screening and visitation restrictions
- Patient discharge to subsequent care locations
- Recommendations related to staff screening and testing
- Return-to-work policies
- Revised EMTALA guidance for screening patients at offsite locations while the national emergency remains in force
- Dialysis facilities
Provisions to allow for the establishment of facilities to treat those patients who tested positive for COVID-19 to be treated in separate locations.
For outpatient settings, ambulatory surgery centers, and federally qualified health centers
- Recommendations on screening and visitation restrictions
- Recommendations on cleaning and disinfection practices
- Supply scarcity and closure
- FDA recommendations
- Encouraged to partner with others in their community to conserve and share critical resources
Need Immediate Assistance?
Where possible, TiER1 Healthcare is still providing on-site services for clients with urgent needs. We are equipped to serve you remotely and are ready to help. Our team can also help you close any leadership gaps during this high-pressure time by placing quality interim leaders within your organization. Contact us at 513-241-0142, or email@example.com.
More from TiER1 Healthcare